start date: 12 May 2017
time elapsed: 3 weeks 5 days
This is the me-too shirt for Númenor’s robot shirt. Of course, it’s a different pattern. Not just a different one, but a more complicated one as well. No matter, I thought. At this stage in my sewing, I reasoned, I can handle just about anything.
Thereby I disproved the existence of god. Because if there were such an entity, everyone would have heard them laughing at me.
This pattern was okay in terms of difficulty. It wasn’t too fiddly, and the instructions were pretty clear. But I used a pattern from a designer I’ve had trouble with in the past without making a muslin first. Their clothes are so freaking cute, but I already knew that they really struggled with armscyes and their facings sometimes just didn’t work. And I should have relied more on that past experience. But it was so cute, and the size promised in the pattern was perfect.
And most of the pattern was fine.
But the neckline.
I finished the bodice and called Ithilien over so I could double-check the sizing by popping it over his head. But it wouldn’t fit over his head. It wasn’t even close.
So I unpicked the bodice and tried again. This time he could put it on, but it was tight across the chest and stranglingly tight in the neckline when zipped up.
I unpicked some more. I re-worked the side seams to give him an extra half inch in the chest, and took the zipper out, and cut the back split down an extra inch, and cut the whole neckline an extra half-inch lower. Now it fit fine.
But the neck facing from the pattern obviously wouldn’t work anymore.
So I made up some bias tape with my new, beautiful, antique sad irons, and finished it off with a button and a loop.
And now, well, it’s perfect. Which could be seen as all this effort paying off.
But for me, the thing that makes it most worthwhile to have finally fixed this cute little top is that it reminded me– very painfully– to consider the source when I sew up a pattern. Next time, I’ll be working from a designer I’ve had good experiences with.
Maybe I’m just cynical, but caveat emptor seems to apply even more when it comes to things offered for free. Maybe the modern advice would be closer to caveat usor.
Or, you know, semper muslinus prius facere.
The pattern, which I can’t recommend, is Modern Baby Doll Top by Shwin & Shwin; in addition to the modifications to the neckline and closure discussed above, I also gave it a straight hem. The fabric is the same as last week. The buttons are from my collection. The irons are Geneva 8s, purchased on Etsy.